Schools Of The Past
Miss Ethel Bent, Teacher, Beech Corner School - 1912
In those days when a female teacher married, she was terminated.
In addition, women were paid only about a third of what a male teacher was paid.
The original Center School, 2nd District, built in 1876. Note the outhouse on the right. This building has been a school, the Town Hall, Senior Center and now Totoket TV.
Totoket School (Mill Road School) - 3rd District. This building is now incorporated into a home.
Mill Road School. Note the 5 boys with no shoes.
4th District School, the Little Red School House. Although this school house was known to be in deplorable condition as early as the mid 1880s it was not replaced until 1904. For several years in the 1890s the school was not used for lack of scholars.
Read "The History of The Little Red Schoolhouse" on our Research Documents 2 page.
4th District School
This is the building which replaced The Little Red School house in 1904. It is now Natureworks on Forest Road.